Learn how to improve surface adhesion and product performance!
TAPPI is excited to introduce a new training opportunity that is being presented in partnership with ITW Pillar Technologies - an innovative leader in surface treatment systems in the plastic film extrusion, coating, laminating, and printing industries.
The Corona and Atmospheric Plasma 101 Course
- A One Day Course -
Wednesday, April 5, 2017
Hartland, Wisconsin USA
Note: Register by March 5, 2017 to save on course fees and group rates.
Presented for the first time in partnership with ITW Pillar Technologies, this one-day course is designed to provide you with a basic and intermediate understanding of surface energy, why it is important, and how corona and plasma surface modification technologies can offer solutions to surface wettability and adhesion.
You will be trained to understand the fundamentals of corona and plasma treatment, and what treatment system adjustments can be made to improve surface treatment and adhesion outcomes. The course combines formal classroom training with the opportunity to gain practical skills with hands-on experiences within a fully-equipped on-site pilot line at ITW Pillar Technologies.
By attending this one-day course, you will gain the skills to:
- Understand different surface treatment system designs.
- Make informed determinations and recommendations of proper surface treatment systems, or alterations of existing systems, to improve surface treatment outcomes.
- Calculate and use watt density to positively influence surface treatment results.
- Recognize how to measure surface tension, and the factors that affect wettability and adhesion.
- Identify and apply trouble-shooting techniques and preventative maintenance best practices to improve operating uptime.
- Understand the capabilities, specifications, and chemical functionalization effects provided by atmospheric plasma technologies.
- Improve substrate conditioning to optimize surface treatment results.
Who Should Attend?
This course is ideal for:
- Process Engineers working in Flexible Packaging Converting Operations
- Supervisors working in Flexible Packaging Converting Operations
- Printing/Coating/Lamination Operators working in Film Extrusion Segments
- Maintenance Managers working in Nonwovens and Textile Finishing Segments
- Superintendents and Technical Assistants working in Paper and Foil Converting Segments
Education prerequisites are not required to benefit from this course, although participants would find it helpful to have some exposure to surface treatment technologies and terminology.
TAPPI will award Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for the completion of this course content. TAPPI is an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining accreditation, TAPPI demonstrates its compliance with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice.
Founded in 1966, ITW Pillar Technologies is recognized worldwide as a global manufacturer of surface treatment systems. OEM's and end-users in the industries of plastic film extrusion, coating, laminating, and printing have relied on ITW Pillar's surface treatment equipment to provide long term high quality surface treatment results of increased wettability, long term adhesion, and/or specialty surface modifications onto most all plastic film and paper.
ITW Pillar Technologies leads the market in new surface treater technology. Known for originating "Universal" Corona Treating, Pillar has also been the first to introduce a number of surface treatment innovations to the industry. ITW Pillar was the first to introduce epoxy covered treater rolls, ozone destruct systems and solid-state power supplies. The company also piloted the first U.S. manufactured split box treater station, introduced "Universal" corona treating to the industry, and was the first to introduce a unitized narrow web power supply/station combination unit with removeable electrode cartridge.